Acknowledgment of Expectations
Welcome to the St. Francis Xavier Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Faith Formation program. We are excited to help you and your child on this journey toward a deeper personal relationship with Christ and His Church.
Please read the following sections with important information about our program. Then, read and initial each statement on the form below.
Ignatian Spirituality calls us to be lifelong learners of our faith. St. Francis Xavier Parish provides multiple programs to help us answer this call, including Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) Faith Formation for children 3 years old through fifth grade.
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is a Montessori based formation for children. It is designed to meet the spiritual needs of the child at each developmental phase and to provide an environment where they can fall in love with God. The ideal time to naturally develop this relationship is between the ages of 3-6. The child who has a deep relationship with God will then desire to be even closer to Him through the Sacraments. When they receive the Sacraments they are not done with their formation they have only just begun, so we continue in CGS to open the gift of the Sacrament they received and go ever more deeply into the mystery of God.
According to diocesan recommendations, a child must first have one full year of Faith Formation directly prior to the year of preparation for a Sacrament. It is most beneficial for children to begin their relationship with God by age 3; at the latest they should be enrolled in Faith Formation by first grade. The parents must also have the intention of continuing their child’s faith formation after they receive the Sacraments.
Who can participate in Faith Formation at St. Francis Xavier?
Faith Formation classes are open to registered active parishioners and individuals living within our parish boundaries.
In order to be considered a registered, active parishioner at St. Francis Xavier, you must meet the following requirements:
- Registered as a member of the parish for at least 3 months. This is different than the Faith Formation registration. A person can register with the parish on our website or at our front desk.
- Regular, weekly attendance at a weekend Mass at St. Francis Xavier. This is shown by submitting envelopes at each mass or giving to the offertory online. Please know the amount of your gift is inconsequential. Please give your envelope, even if it is empty; this way we know you were at mass.
Our parish boundaries are as follows: From Glendale Ave South to Thomas Rd and from 7th Ave East to 16th St.
- To find out which parish boundaries you live in, please contact the Diocese of Phoenix at (602) 354-2000. They will ask for your address and then provide the information for your home parish.
- Weekly attendance is required for all Faith Formation programs.
- 4 tardies (10 minutes late or more) equals 1 unexcused absence.
- 4 unexcused absences may result in a person not being able to complete their program and/or Sacraments.
- If you encounter an attendance issue, it is the responsibility of the adult/parent to contact the director.
- Parents of children preparing for the Sacraments must attend all parent Sacrament classes.