Sacramental Preparation Overview
Welcome to the St. Francis Xavier Children and Youth Faith Formation programs. We are excited to assist you and your child on this journey toward a deeper personal relationship with Christ and His Church. Ignatian Spirituality calls us to be lifelong learners of our faith. St. Francis Xavier Parish provides multiple programs to help us answer this call:
Ignatian Family Faith Formation
St. Francis Xavier community recognizes parents as the main leaders in transmitting their faith in the lives of their children. SFX Parish is here to accompany and guide parents with their children to a relationship with God through prayer and action.
The Ignatian Family Faith Formation program will be implemented in our community. It is our desire to enable families in our SFX community, to explore the richness of our faith as a united family, and to support parents as they carry the message and teachings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ accepting the demands of discipleship in their daily lives and as active members of the Catholic Church.
RCIT: Rite of Christian Initiation for Teens
RCIT is for children who have missed the normal age of reception of the Sacraments and are currently in 6th grade through 12th grade. RCIT has two components, educational and practical. The educational component consists of monthly sacrament preparation classes on Tuesday evenings beginning in August. These classes must be attended by both the child receiving any sacraments, and at least one parent. The practical component consists of weekly ministry meetings. Those in high school, or 9-12 grade, are required to attend Life Teen, which meets on Sunday evenings. We start with Mass at 5:00pm, then meet as a group from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. Those in jr. high, or 6-8 grade, are required to attend Edge, which meets on Wednesday evenings in Anderson Hall from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. Anyone getting sacraments are required to attend BOTH the sacrament prep classes AND either Life Teen or Edge. Registration cut-off for the 2020-2021 year is September 30, 2021.
Sacrament registration for 2021-2022 is CLOSED.!--
Who can participate in Faith Formation at St. Francis Xavier?
Faith Formation classes are open to registered active parishioners and individuals.
In order to be considered a registered, active parishioner at St. Francis Xavier, you must meet the following requirements:
- Registered as a member of the parish for at least 3 months. This is different than the Faith Formation registration. A person can register with the parish on our website or at our front desk.
- Regular, weekly attendance at a weekend mass at St. Francis Xavier. This is shown by submitting envelopes at each mass or giving to the offertory online. Please know the amount of your gift is inconsequential. Please give your envelope, even if it is empty; this way we know you were at mass.
- Weekly attendance is required for all Faith Formation programs (IFFF, EDGE, Life Teen).
- 4 tardy (10 minutes late or more) equals 1 unexcused absence.
- 4 unexcused absences may result in a person not being able to complete their program and/or Sacraments.
- If you encounter an attendance issue, it is the responsibility of the adult/parent to contact the director.
- Parents of children preparing for the Sacraments must attend all parent Sacrament classes.
- Failure to do so may result in your child not receiving sacraments due to a lack of preparation.